How can I stay positive when everyone around me seems like they’re having a competition for who cam complain about the most? Well, if your mind is positive you can just stay there.
This weekend, I just could not bring myself to drop down to anyone’s lower vibration! I had an amazing weekend, I got to sleep in, eat cookie dough, drink craft beer and go to the beach. I was on top of the world! As I have been working on The Magic practices and trying to stay grateful and happy all day long (I know, it sounds like a lot but I did say trying), I have been hyper aware of people around me complaining! I live in a big city, which comes with the benefits of always having fun things to do and events in the area. But, with lots of events comes lots of people. And with lots of people comes crowds, traffic, and lines. This is something I accept and LOVE about the city life. However, the people I was with this weekend were letting store lines and traffic ruin their whole weekend! I had never noticed how mad people got doing everyday things, like driving and waiting in a line, and how it could ruin their whole day.
Imagine the negative life you would create getting stressed and angry at small, everyday activities? That is not the life for me! As I sat in the car with them, it seemed like they would complain about the situation, and then go back and forth about their worsts. Why can’t we go back in forth on our bests? I’m wondering. Have you ever noticed how quick people are to go about complaining for who’s situation is work? Somewhere down the line we made it a social norm to talk openly about the bad things in our lives, because to talk only of the good would be snobby, rude and just not humble. Great, so we’re all sitting around sharing our negative experiences, but where is that getting us? No where.
So, this weekend I decided I’m going to break the social norm. If people want to sit around and complain all day, great for them, if they are happy in their low vibration. But I’m happy with my high vibration, and the more I stay there, the harder I find it to join in on these complaining conversations. I just can’t bring myself to say anything most of the time. Here’s how I get through it.
- Take a deep breath. Honestly, for almost any situation you find yourself in, this is always the best first step.
- Picture your thoughts as a cloud, the happier they are the brighter your cloud, the more negative they are the darker your cloud. (I picture cartoon clouds, the bright one being more of a shining light cloud aura, the darker a deep storm cloud.)
- Before you enter the conversation, think of the cloud you are going to release. Do you want to talk about darkness, and then be responsible for the darkness that goes out into the world? Or do you want to be responsible for adding more light into the world?
- Spread your light. Say something positive. I find that sometimes this can slow the negative spiral and at least get a subject change. You’ll feel better, and even if they don’t notice it at first, so will they.
- If they bounce back into the negative conversation, breathe the light cloud into you, fill your thoughts with it and release it. Your thoughts vibrate as much as your words, if people aren’t in a place where they want to hear you that’s OK. Don’t fight them. Just keep your light shining, and it will make its way out into the universe.
- Remember, you never have to think the way someone else wants you to. No matter what you do, if joining into a conversation feels like it will bring you down to somewhere you don’t want to be, you don’t have to go there! If someone wants to look for all the things that went wrong in their day and count them, you don’t have to count yours to make them feel better! Count your blessings, and your light will grow, and it will seep into your world! I find when I am happiest and around gloomy people, if we can’t find anything to talk about, I can easily drown them out through happy thoughts, or even just looking around in appreciation!
The most amazing feeling in the world is when your light is so bright that no one else’s darkness can touch you! I fail with that sometimes, but the more I remember it and try the better I feel, and the better world I create. Imagine a world where we all wanted to spread only our light? Oh what a magical place that would be!