Today I had my Tarot Cards read for the first time! I have always been way too scared to do this, fearing “Satan” and “Dark Magic”, as I was raised to believe, but lately I had been seeing Tarot Cards EVERYWHERE! It felt like everywhere I went, everyone I knew was getting a reading done, or wanting to. I was curious, and when a co-worker mentioned he had cards and did a reading for his sister, I jumped at the chance to have him read mine!
Except, I had no idea what I was getting into!
To start, he kept saying he needed a table to lay them out, and I was like “don’t I just pick 3 cards?” He explained that if I do a 3 card-reading, I have to pick a topic, and if I want my whole life done then he would lay them out in a “Celtic Cross”. I was a little scared and we only had about 10 minutes, so I decided to try it for just a 3-card reading, and chose my career.
Here’s How it Works:
- The Reader Bonds With Their Cards – My co-worker told me an antidote about how his previous set of cards he bonded with so much, and one day he knocked the box over and some of them got burned and destroyed and it set off a chain of bad luck for him! He told me that the card reader has to bond with their cards, and the better they bond with them the better their readings will be. This leads to more accurate readings and eventually the ability to slightly change the outcome. He was not at the latter, but he had slept with the cards under his pillow for quite sometime so their energy would be shared and in alignment. Strange, I’m thinking, but so interesting.
- The Reader Shuffles The Cards – The cards are originally stored in order, by suit and by number. The cards should be neutralized, as the energy between the cards and the reader is in a balanced state with the bonding.
- The Reader Shuffles The Cards into 3 Piles–
-The exact reasoning as to why it was broken up I didn’t get. But, to my understanding, it sets everything up for the next step.
- I Take Cards 1 by 1 From the 3 Piles Into 1 Deck Again – This step is transferring my energy onto the cards! I could only touch one card at a time to bring into my smaller pile.
- Take 3 Cards off the Top of My Full Deck
-These cards got a final dose of my energy, and then were flipped by the reader for my reading!
- The Reader Flips the Cards, Reading from His Left to Right, Past, Present & Future
-This is how they looked to my card reader!
- They were all facing upright to the dealer– this is good! Because most cards have dual-meanings, the “good” meaning is when they are upright, and the “negative” meaning is when they are upside down. This was a relief because I am switching careers, and getting a negative reading was the biggest fear I had going into it
- The cards were of the same suit, in order – this can be good or bad, depending on the reading. My dealer taught me that because all my cards were of the same suit in the same order (the picture isn’t the best, but they are numbered I,II,III) that it means they are more likely to be set in stone. Meaning, that the reading is more spot on and less likely to change. Sometimes with readings, they can give you a bit of a warning of something that could happen if everything continues with the same energy you are giving it, but when they are in order like mine our, it is less likely to change with a shift in your energy. Nothing is completely unlikely to shift, but less likely.
- My Past – The Fool Card – this card represents novice and a bit of ignorance. As you can see on the card, the Fool is happy going on his journey, but about to walk off a cliff as the dog is trying to warn him. My dealer also told met that this card can mean I made a decision without weighing all of the consequences, but it was a situation I had been in before. Taking career jumps when I have nothing prepared is nothing new to me, I tend to trust my intuition when it tells me its time for the next adventure a lot, and don’t let people scare me out of it. This card, I felt, was really fitting.
- My Present – The Magician Card – my reader told me this is one of the best cards you can get, as it represents skill and taking charge. The Magician’s table has a cup, sword, pentacle and he is holding a wand – which are all the suits! (The cards I got are all under the “Major Arcana” suit, and the rest fall under those 4 as the “Minor Arcana”). So The Magician can handle anything, and my card reader told me that this meant that I was going to have good luck in my career right now, and plenty of opportunities to move ahead! Remember how I told you I felt my intuition was telling me to change paths ASAP? This card helped confirm that feeling as well.
- My Future – The High Priestess – (I thought this said “The High Princess” when it was upside down to me, and got really excited by the name. It is in fact the Priest-ess, which is a less exciting name but equally exciting card!) This card represents intuition and secrets, and my reader told me it meant that now was the time to trust my intuition, pay attention to my dreams, and that I was going to have a successful journey of continuous knowledge. This card also means that there is change coming, and to get more in tune with creativity! The success, he told me, might come from something I am doing in secret, but that if I listen to my intuition, I am being guided toward greatness! This hit my soul hard, in the best way, because I have always lived for reading and writing, and want to make it my full-time career, but am too embarrassed to tell anyone I know and do it in secret. Take this blog for example, which I still haven’t shown to anyone I know personally!
- The Reader Then Neutralizes The Cards– he does this by shuffling them with his neutral energy to clear mine, then placing them back in order, by suit and number.
Why I’m Skeptical: As soon as I got my reading I told my dad, a devout Christian, and he wasn’t thrilled. I was religiously raised to think that things will come to you when God wants them to, and if you go asking before he’s ready to tell you, you’re asking for trouble. My thoughts have changed on this a bit, which I’ll explain more below.
Additionally, I didn’t go to a “professional” reader, and I wonder if that would have made a difference in the reading.
Lastly, I am a HUGE believer in the Law of Attraction, and find that we can control our own destinies, so why would I need someone to tell me if I already know? This is where I still struggle, because a part of me also thinks that energy is the biggest part of LOA, and that the cards are a tool to help display your energy back to yourself. I’m getting into it.
Why I think Tarot Card Readings Work: INTUITION! Always trust and listen to your intuition! I think that at other times, I never would have gone for a reading, because I never felt pulled towards it. This time I did, and when you feel inspired action, or that something is a sign for you, pay attention to it, it is your inner higher guidance leading you! And it won’t lead you astray!
I also think it was a blessing that we only had time for a career 3-card reading, because that is what I had pictured in my head. Or was it what my divine guidance had pictured for me? And it was so spot on and made sense, that I trusted the readings. Personally, I think a full-life reading would have given me more things to nit-pick and be skeptical of. Moral of the story, if it feels good do it, trust it, if it doesn’t feel good, do something else or take it with a grain of salt.
Have you tried Tarot Cards? Do you know how to read them? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! I’d love to learn more!